Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Charity quilts

We make a lot of quilts for those who need them here in Poland.  Often people use heat in their homes from October through April.  This past winter was pretty mild, so heat wasn't as big of a deal, but we do use our heaters!  In our case, we have a wood stove, and my husband and son keep it going.

I had about 100 quilts ready to give out by the end of 2013.  From January through March we gave away about 50 twin sized or larger quilts and myriads of smaller ones.  A friend who lives in Arizona keeps us supplied with lap/baby sized quilts that we can give away. While using a baby quilt is a common thing, it isn't yet a common thing for someone to use a lap sized quilt as a decorator item in a house.  We are trying to introduce it as our friend always sends along beautiful quilts!

In years past we've given away some Christmas presents to area needy and in conjunction with that, we've given away quilts in the form of a drawing.  We've had various people win--always they were excited.  Until the summer of 2012, I tied these quilts. Starting in 2012, I decided to use these quilts to improve my quilting.

Here is a picture of some of the stacks of quilts previous to the time I started quilting by machine.  Once I started quilting by machine, I needed to buy a little bit thinner poly batting as I was having a hard time quilting by machine the poly batting that is 150 gram weight. I switched to 100 grams or 120 grams max and it works.





Here are some of my helpers.  Here are two neighborhood kids and my son, Daniel (on the left.)


Here are Julia (neighbor) and Lydia, my daughter working on a Spiderman top. I bought several panels off of Ebay back when and then added  borders around them in order to make them into twin size quilts. They were/are very popular.  


They got drafted into helping quite a bit but I don't think they minded too much. They were very fast at tying!  We called Lydia 'lightning fingers" but Julia could keep up as well.


If you happen to have any tops and wanted to donate them to us here in Poland to finish, we would be happy to do so. Please write me.


No comments:

Post a Comment